Many people in the community have a major role as the Carer of a relative or friend with a serious illness or disability. The role of Carer for a cancer patient can be a particularly demanding one. The Carer may be required to develop new skills, be faced with complex new information and they can often feel unprepared and isolated.
But, help for Carers is available. A course developed by a multi-disciplinary team of health professionals has been run for 7 Years. Trained facilitators offer information and practical skills in a supportive group environment where the sharing of experiences and coping strategies is encouraged. The main goal is to improve the quality of life for both people in the caring relationship.
The Carers Course is made up of nine modules and is conducted over one day.
The modules are:
- Effective Communication – improving communication with health professionals and family members.
- Managing Medicines – understanding common medications, their use, possible side-effects and medication safety.
- Managing Pain – how to describe, measure, and manage pain through medication and complementary methods.
- Managing Symptoms - helping to reduce common symptoms such as nausea and constipation.
- Practical Aspects - practical tips for everyday physical needs.
- Good Nutrition – the importance of good nutrition for everyone.
- Exercise – the importance of appropriate exercise.
- Self Care- throughout the course there is emphasis on self-care for Carers.
- Complementary Therapies – what are they and how can they help?
Feedback from past participants:
"A very informative and relaxing day"
"A great group course – thank you"
"All the topics were relevant to my situation"
"The casual group environment encouraged sharing”
For more information, please click here
This event is sold out. If you would like to support the SolarisCare Red Sky Ride, please read on for information on our other February Fundraisers.
Come and support Clare Nash and Team Zenith in their fundraising efforts for the SolarisCare Red Sky Ride, and enjoy a night at the pictures.
At a home for retired opera singers, the annual concert to celebrate Verdi's birthday is disrupted by the arrival of Jean, former wife of one of the residents and eternal diva. Dustin Hoffman has recruited an extraordinary cast for his directorial debut, including Maggie Smith, Billy Connolly, Michael Gambon and Tom Courtenay.
When: Tuesday, 12 February at 8.30pm
Where: Cygnet Cinema, 16 Preston St, Como
Tickets: $15 and available from trybooking.com/CHUM
For more information, please phone Clare Nash on 0423 623 988.
Team Airlite have recruited the extraordinary skills of flautist Shayne Harris and special guests Melissa Fitzgerald (guitar), Kane Moroney (flute) and Ryan Davis (piano) for a wonderful night of music at North Perth Town Hall.
When: Friday, 15 February at 8.30pm
Where: 26 View Street, North Perth
Tickets: $20 and available on entry.
For more information, phone Geoff at SolarisCare on 9381 4074.
Join Team ELA for a fun-filled and thoroughly Aussie evening of barefoot bowls at the Mt Lawley Bowling Club. You will be treated to a delicious BBQ and enjoy drinks at club prices.
When: Friday, 15 February at 7.00pm
Where: Rookwood Street, Mt Lawley
Tickets: $25 and available from trybooking.com/CHVJ
For more information, please phonePaul Borrett on 0437 612 954.